Pictured above are UEL Treasurer Babara Falsey and Deputy Director of Parks, Alex Munoz. Munoz accepted the award presented to Howard Gregg, his predecessor at Parks and Recreation. This was the copy from the award he received for “Lifetime Achievement in Planning”:
Howard Gregg’s contributions to the Miami Dade [...]Continue Reading →
• County Committee defers to 7/13, wants a compromise. See summary.
• New Alert – City of Miami Commission, 6/23, vacant storefronts plastered with ads in neighborhoods, tell them to vote “no” or amend drastically. Please go to our site and then click “take action” to voice your objections.Continue Reading →
The Onions and Orchids, Urban Environment League event, was a success. Almost 100 people came downtown to Villa 221 to watch the awards.
We will highlight some of the award winners, and post pictures from the event, here on the UEL blog, over the next few weeks. We wanted to start with a members of [...]Continue Reading →
On Wednesday, June 15, 2011, the Urban Environment League will host its sixth annual Orchids & Onions Award Presentation. This event has been widely acclaimed at recognizing individuals in the community who have been instrumental in initiating projects and campaigns which enhance Miami-Dade’s natural and built environment.
The awards, which are given [...]
The six workshops identified below are scheduled in place of the annual DCA Growth Management Implementation Workshop held in June.
These regional workshops are FREE of charge. Please make plans to attend and listen to Secretary Buzzett and staff discuss the 2011 Legislative Session and its impact on the Department of Community [...]Continue Reading →
There will be a candidate’s forum in Kendall. East Kendall Homeowners Association (EKHO) has invited Carlos Gimenez and Julio Robaina to a candidates forum Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 Location: Dice House 10000 S. W. 82 Avenue Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pmContinue Reading →
Officers (bold-new proposed board of directors)
Beba Sardiña Mann
John Van Leer
Continue Reading →
UEL’s 6th Annual Orchids & Onions location has moved to the beautiful new downtown space VILLA 221 on Wednesday, June 15th at 6pm. The location is: 221 NE 17th Street, just West of the old OMNI complex. Double click to open the invite in a larger version.
Please tell [...]Continue Reading →
According toContinue Reading →
There will be a runoff 06/28/2011 in Miami-Dade County between the two top vote getters, Julio Robaina (Mayor of Hialeah) and Carlos Gimenez (County Commissioner). Only one charter change question passed: There is a 2 year limit before officials can lobby the County.
The election in district 7 is on hold. A third candidate had [...]Continue Reading →
Welcome to the UEL.ORGThe UEL is a advocacy organization that supports environmentally responsible development and smart growth. We work to protect the public waterfront, public spaces, and historic and natural areas in Miami-Dade county. Our blog is a forum for discussion, and may not reflect the opinion of all board members. If you support smart growth and environmental protection please join us!
- Taking the Guesswork out of Designing for Walkability May 21, 2013Summary: The lack of adequate pedestrian behavior models means that designing for walkability has largely remained a matter of intuition. However, agent-based simulation can provide insight into the keys for creating pedestrian-friendly places. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Annual Search Begins for UK's Ugliest Building May 21, 2013Oliver Wainwright solicits contenders for this year's Carbuncle Cup, Building Design magazine's annual search for the UK's worst "crimes against architecture". […]Jonathan Nettler
- High Above Hollywood, Buying Into the Glamour Without the Grittiness of the Boulevard May 21, 2013With new luxury high-rises sprouting in a densifying Hollywood, and many more on the way, those hawking penthouses priced between $1-$45 million play up the unique amenities and play down the messy reality of a changing neighborhood. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Take Your Kids to the Park and Leave Them There...Seriously May 21, 2013Apologies for being a little late on this one, but apparently last Saturday was the fourth annual 'Take Our Children to the Park...and Leave Them There Day.' Sounds crazy right? Lenore Skenazy argues why it may be the smartest thing you do all week. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Environmental and Transportation Challenges Await New L.A. Mayor May 21, 2013Whoever is victorious in today's election to choose L.A.'s next mayor, the celebrating may be short lived. Pressing needs to strengthen the city's water supply, maintain transit momentum, and relieve toxic hotspots await the city's next leader. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Greenest Building in UK Approved May 21, 2013Norwich, England will soon be home to the "greenest building in the U.K.," reports Mark Wilding. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Planning Fatigue Plagues San Diego Outreach Efforts May 21, 2013After participating in at least 27 planning processes over the last 15 years, residents of City Heights can be forgiven for wanting to actually see something built. Plentiful funds for planning, but meager funds for building, are causing frustration. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Environmentalists Told to Get With the Fracking Program May 21, 2013Environmentalists charged that the new federal rules guiding hydraulic fracturing do not protect the environment and inform the public about the fracking process. The new Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, appeared prepared for their comments. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Step Aside California, Michigan Modernism Gets a Spin in the Spotlight May 21, 2013During the post-war years, the Wolverine State gave the world much more than just elegant automobiles. A new exhibit explores Michigan's under-appreciated contributions to the design world. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Comprehensive Planning off the Beaten Path May 21, 2013Liven up your comprehensive planning effort Texas style. Matthew Lewis, Development Director for the city of San Marcos, used everything from Legos to "design rodeos" (i.e. Texas charrettes) to get to common ground. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Taking the Guesswork out of Designing for Walkability May 21, 2013
Pay for the Orchids and Onions Here!
May 2013 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
There are currently no events to display.