Welcome to the UEL.ORGThe UEL is a advocacy organization that supports environmentally responsible development and smart growth. We work to protect the public waterfront, public spaces, and historic and natural areas in Miami-Dade county. Our blog is a forum for discussion, and may not reflect the opinion of all board members. If you support smart growth and environmental protection please join us!
- Step Aside California, Michigan Modernism Gets a Spin in the Spotlight May 21, 2013During the post-war years, the Wolverine State gave the world much more than just elegant automobiles. A new exhibit explores Michigan's under-appreciated contributions to the design world. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Comprehensive Planning off the Beaten Path May 21, 2013Liven up your comprehensive planning effort Texas style. Matthew Lewis, Development Director for the city of San Marcos, used everything from Legos to "design rodeos" (i.e. Texas charrettes) to get to common ground. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Going, Going, Gone: High Plains Drains its Water Supply May 21, 2013Years of record drought and more intensive farming are draining the High Plains Aquifer, distressing farmers from Colorado to Texas. Rural communities are suffering from dwindling water supplies. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Syracuse Confronts 'Most Important Civic Decision in 60 Years' May 20, 2013To demolish, or not to demolish? As Syracuse considers what to do with its aged elevated highway, special interests are mobilizing to prevent tearing down the crumbling I-81 viaduct and replacing it with an urban boulevard, says David M. Rubin. […]Jonathan Nettler
- 54 Arts Projects Awarded Creative Placemaking Grants May 20, 2013ArtPlace America has announced the 54 recipients (out of over 1200 applicants) for its most recent round of creative placemaking grants. The $15.2 million in grants will support projects in 44 communities and a statewide project in Connecticut. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Minister Reins in Mumbai's Haphazard Development Controls; Will the City's Skyline Suffer? May 20, 2013The chief minister of the Indian state of Maharashtra (home to Mumbai) is pushing to rationalize the region's density controls, which had been prone to abuse by developers. Some fear the controls will result in more homogenous designs. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Poverty's Sprawling Tentacles May 20, 2013From 2000-2011 the number of poor Americans living in the suburbs increased at a rate double that of the country's cities. The result is that more poor people now live in the suburbs than in cities. A new book examines this troubling trend. […]Jonathan Nettler
- 10 Exemplary Approaches to Station Integration May 20, 2013Different contexts call for different approaches to inserting new transit stations into existing urban environments. From iconic statement to net-zero depot, Ron Nyren looks at 10 stations built recently in cities across the world. […]Jonathan Nettler
- The Urban Diary as a City-Dweller's Tool May 20, 2013Chuck Wolfe champions the 'urban diary' tool as a universal means to understand the city around us. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Rush to Rebuild Could Cause Long-Term Damage to NY/NJ Beaches May 20, 2013Just seven months ago Hurricane Sandy damaged 94 percent of New Jersey's beaches and eroded dozens of miles of coastline in New York. As waterfront communities rush to rebuild before summer, some fear disastrous long-term consequences. […]Jonathan Nettler
- Step Aside California, Michigan Modernism Gets a Spin in the Spotlight May 21, 2013
Pay for the Orchids and Onions Here!
May 2013 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
There are currently no events to display.